Friday 19 May 2017

Of This Food Is Coral Made?

Deep down, very deep down among the kale, lovage and sorrel at our fruit and vegetable market here in Karmiel, Galilee, I thought I had found something more exotic than the norm.

In Hebrew it’s named poetically as k’ruv almogim’ ‘coral cabbage’ – but I’ve discovered that it is known more generally as ‘romanesque cauliflower’ or ‘romanesco broccoli’. I’ve learned also that it may be eaten raw or cooked and tastes like a mild, nutty version of cauliflower.

But however professional food writers and chefs may describe it, my first thought was that with its exquisite sculpted shell flowers and delicate green colouring it was there only to be respectfully regarded and far too good to eat!

But nothing daunted, on arriving home, I snapped this picture before putting it in the fridge and then had to decide how best to use it.

20170518_163746

To start, I found a recipe for roasted romanesco from allrecipes but discovered en route, that following the current fashion for grinding cauliflower and similar in to ‘rice’ grains, that it may also make a wonderful basis for an Italian-type vegan and gluten-free risotto.

Enjoy your meal!

Bon appetit!

Buon appetito!

בתיאבון

© Natalie Wood (19 May 2017)

No comments:

Follow Me on Pinterest