Sunday 26 December 2010

The Sabbath ‘Santa’!

 

Sabbath.SantaAbout 80 Palestinians and anti-Israel activists dressed in Santa Claus costumes scuffled with Israeli security forces on Christmas Eve to protest against the separation barrier Israel is building across the West Bank.

But outside areas of Christian population, yesterday was a very ordinary Sabbath or Saturday for Israel’s Jewish and Moslem populations.

Imagine my surprise, therefore, as I was strolling near my flat here in Rabin, Karmiel, to see a young woman of evident European origin wearing a ‘Santa’ hat.

She chuckled when she saw my amazement but I was not amused to read about the shenanigans  at the village of Bilin, where the protestors were held back by tear gas fired by Israeli security forces.

Why did they have to use the eve of an important Christian holy day to do this? I am not impressed!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/8224577/ Santas-scuffle-with-Israeli-security-forces.html

But let me take this opportunity to wish all readers a very happy festive season and a glorious 2011. Happy New Year!

msniw

No comments:

Follow Me on Pinterest